[ltp] Second interrupt for sound hw

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:22:38 +0000 (GMT)

I have operated without using a second sound interrupt
for a long time.  I recently began wondering what the
heck this second interrupt is all about.

I guess that the second interrupt is only required if
you want to use the MPU-401 UART to connect to external
MIDI devices.  One ought to be able to play .mid files
on the ThinkPad without using a second interrupt.
With the ALSA drivers, .mid files have to be converted
to .wav format and played through the /dev/dsp0 PCM interface
(using a program like timidity).  I take it that the
OSS drivers support playing .mid files through the
/dev/sequencer interface.  (I presume the ad1848 modules
implements this.)  But doing this doesn't require
a second IRQ, does it?

Thomas