[ltp] Some experiences with serial ports, internal modem and IR port on TP600E.

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 16:42:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no> wrote:
> I should probably also mention that when I've tried enabling all the
> serial ports using setpnp -b, the reboot process appears to be in two
> stages -- the 'pad boots to about where I'd expect to see the LILO:
> prompt, then it beeps twice and starts over, next time around the prompt
> appears.  I don't know what causes this, but I imagine it has to do with
> the BIOS not liking the settings it finds, changing some of them and
> rebooting.

I think that this happens any time the ESCD is changed,
using PS2.EXE or setpnp -b or ThinkPad_Configuration_for_Windows.
I presume that the BIOS writes the change request to a temporary
area and only makes the change to ESCD during the boot process.
I presume that this makes sure that there is always a consistent
set of configuration values in the ESCD.

> From the above sequence, it would appear that the way to use 'setpnp' to
> change the settings being seen by 'tpctl' is this:
>
> # setpnp -b 13 io 0x3e8 irq 4
> # setpnp -b 13 on
>
> And to disable the IR port:
>
> # setpnp -b 13 off

Looks right.

> > Get two ThinkPads together and run minicom on their
> > serial IR ports.  You should be able to send characters
> > back and forth between the terminals.  Make sure that the
> > baud rates, etc., are the same.
>
> "Get two ThinkPads" -- I wish it were that easy.

:)

Thomas