[ltp] Problems installing RedHat 7.0 on 755CD

Mitchell Kirschner linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:00:40 -0800

Using a variation of what Thomas suggested, I tried installing Tiny Linux.
Result: the kernel panicked again.

Almost at wit's end, I started browsing the BootPrompt HOWTO once again.
Something caught my eyue. Apparently some of the early 486DX100 chips are
defective in that they don't reliably wake up from a "hlt" command (with any
OS). With Linux, using the no-hlt boot argument eliminates the problem by
telling Linux never to use the "hlt" command.

(Aside: I wonder if that's why I started having frequent inexplicable screen
blankouts/reboots under Win95 with that machine? I always thought it was a
failing keyboard or something. Anyhow, it doesn't matter. I've got the
machined hooked to a KVA switch now and its future is in Linux.)
More info for anyone who's curious is at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-3.html

Info on the no-hlt parameter is under Section 3.5

What a headache this has been. I burned most of the weekend, but fortunately
things look promising for resurrecting my vintage Thinkpad. And, since my
efforts have been rewarded, I'm getting seriously hooked on Linux.

Mitch