[ltp] Some IR progress

tom linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:35:10 -0500

Tom Grydeland wrote:

> I've had some progress with IR over the weekend:
>
> Using setpnp -b as described in my previous mail, I've been able to
> activate my IR device, at least to the point where irdadump reports some
> traffic on the link (the discovery frames from the laptop, I believe)
> and the Palm displays the "Waiting for sender" dialog box.
>
> I have not been able to transfer anything between the laptop and the
> palm, though.
>
> I have another question on the serial devices:
>
> Is the mapping
>     [physical device] <-> /dev/ttySx
> 1) hardwired somewhere, or
> 2) is it determined by whatever COMx settings I choose for the
>    [physical device], or
> 3) the [physical device] appears as the device node which has matching
>    ioport/irq settings?
>
> For 1), the DB9 serial port would always be /dev/ttyS0, and it would be
> my responsibility to set the ioport/irq with setpnp to match what
> setserial is told.  This is how I've worked so far.
>
> For 2), whatever [physical device] is given COM1 settings appears as
> /dev/ttyS0, and I would need to adjust my expectations of what device to
> find where accordingly
>
> For 3), I would be free to assign any [physical device] to any
> /dev/ttySx device node, but finding out which device is where could be
> tricky.
>
> --
> //Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

I'll have to dig up my notes, but I have my Palm Vx working with
my A21m using slackware 7.1.
Some of what you describe sounds familiar.
I can't promise an extensive dissertation on file nodes, but mine
works.  If there's a better way to do it then all the better!

--
  7:34am  up 20 days, 13:45,  2 users,  load average: 1.32, 1.09,
1.03