[ltp] Some IR progress

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:01:49 +0000 (GMT)

--- Till.Straumann@TU-Berlin.de wrote:
> On 26-Feb-01 Tom Grydeland wrote:
> > Is the mapping
> >     [physical device] <-> /dev/ttySx
> > 1) hardwired somewhere, or
> > 2) is it determined by whatever COMx settings I choose for the
> >    [physical device], or
> > 3) the [physical device] appears as the device node which has
> > matching
> >    ioport/irq settings?
>
> Both, 2 and 3 are true.

In other words, the hardware has to be put somewhere (this
is the job of isa-pnp or setpnp or tpctl) and the driver
has to be told where the hardware is (this is the job of
load options on the serial module, or the setserial command).

Each /dev/ttySx is a slot where the serial driver stores info
about where it *thinks* there is an actual hardware device.
What it "thinks" is determined by its own probing and/or
isa-pnp queries and/or module load options and/or the
setserial command.

Thomas