[ltp] Re: Some IR progress

Tino Keitel linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:08:16 +0100

> I honestly don't know why /dev/ttyS1 seems to be seperate from this
> /dev/irnine business.  But I suspect that the irda is taking over ttyS1 in
> the background and not really telling anyone about it.

If you use irattach, the kernel will use the "irtty" driver to talk to the IR
hardware. This means that the irda driver talks to the hardware by talking to
/dev/ttyS1. The hardware settinges (irq, io) of your ttyS1 must match the
hardware settings of your IR port or it won't work. The ttyS1 must also be
configured as a 16550A UART.

My IR hardware is set to use IRQ 3 and IO 0x2e8 wich are the same settings of
my ttyS2.

Till Straumann has written a very nice HOWTO about this. It's called "The
IR-DRIVER-TINY-HOWTO". I strongly suggest you to read it.