[ltp] PCMCIA Problems

rik linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:20:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] Thomas Hood wrote:
> > Could it be that my new Ethernet card doesn't use the same communication
> > lines and therefore avoids a damaged part of circuit somehow?

> No.  Is there any reason not simply to conclude that your
> old card is "on the fritz" and that the new one isn't?

It doesn't work in OpenBSD either :)
It drops packets and delivers packets of a strange length or sequence
number to the kernel about 1 in 3 packets. Data transfer is *noticeably*
slowed, however it would actually make an SSH connection to my desktop
machine. I tried the new card and these problems vanished.

I haven't yet worked out how to stop a PCMCIA card in obsd though..

> What does one do with a frazzled PCMCIA card, I wonder?  Perhaps
> it would be good for shimming up a table leg.

I need to borrow a digital camera to put a picture of our obsolete/expired
hardware up online. Picture this:
 In my flat, there are 3 Computer Science students. In our time, we have
 accumulated a lot of what can only now be described as "paperweights". We
 also have a dado rail (it's an old flat). For those that aren't entirely
 sure what a dado rail is, it's a 3 to 4 inch wide bit of ornamental wood
 near the top of a wall, on which people usually balance ornamental
 plates.

 Ours is capable of supporting: 6 Motherboards of varying ages and
 manufacturerers (including a Sun with an i386 chip on it), 2 ESDI hard
 drives, a 5.25 inch drive, an ethernet card that forgot its MAC address
 (and so doesn't work with DHCP anymore), another Ethernet card, several
 cards from a 286 found in a skip, and now my PCMCIA Ethernet card.

 To say that all of this is on the dado rail would be lying. It has moved
 beyond the dado rail, and onto anything that sticks out from the wall.

 We also have Sparc 1's (5 rescued moments before they went into a skip),
 X Terminals (I have a colour X Terminal!), an HP Apollo 700, and Apple of
 some variety, and several other machines making it difficult to move in
 the flat.

I really ought to get some pictures up...

rik
--
<? header( "Content-type:  text/plain" );$c=$s=0;$a=$t=$x=$y=$b=-2;for(;$b
-=$a>2?0.1/($a=-2):0,$b<2;$s.=chr(30+$c),$a+=0.0503)for($x=$y=$c=0;++$c<90&$x*