[ltp] ATI Rage Mobility - M

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:40:50 -0500

On Wednesday 28 February 2001 12:07, you wrote:
> Sorry if this is a FAQ I have just joined the list.
>
> I have installed Debian (Potato) on my new Thinkpad i Series and have
> hit a wall with X. The graphic card is not listed. There are very
> similar ones but not - M type.
>
> Do I need to upgrade to a new version of X (4.0?) for a driver?

   Check out http://www.staikos.on.ca/~staikos/tp1460/ for help with that.
XF86 4.0 works well with it.  XF86 3.3.6's Mach64 server does _not_ work with
this chipset as originally shipped.  We developed a patch which you can
obtain at that url.  (or a precompiled binary if you wish).

On another note, I've got a portion of the work done towards getting the
SVIDEO out port working in Linux.  I have the sequence figured out for
activating it in dos with a tiny assembler program.  It's just a matter of
porting to the driver to linux now (which is not easy in this case....).
I'll post a message here when it's ready.

Oh and DVD playing with the Rage Mobility M chipset is getting there.  You
can download a driver called ati.2 from www.linuxvideo.org and it will
provide Xv extensions for the Mobility M under XF86 4.02.   Combine this with
Xine and libcss and you can actually watch movies on the i series in X
(fullscreen, with sound).  Video skips a bit but is still watchable.  Audio
works perfectly.

--

George Staikos