[ltp] Re: Suspending with AC & PC Cards

Alan Shutko linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
03 Jan 2001 14:14:32 -0500

"Keith Frechette" <kfrechet@us.ibm.com> writes:

> Huh? OK, I'm awake now. So what's the deal? Suspend doesn't work while on AC
> with a PC Card in use?

Yep.

With BIOS 1.01 and earlier (A20p), everything worked fine.

With 1.04 (didn't try 1.02-1.03): closing the lid or hitting Fn-F4
results in a high beep followed by a low beep when AC is connected.
The machine does not suspend and the card remains active.  Opening up
the lid or hitting Fn key will bring you back to the password prompt
(if you have a user password set up) and then back into the system.
Fn-F12 does nothing at all.

This does not happen under Win98 (configured as factory, for APM),
with the same hardware.

The BIOS does not appear to be sending any APM events, so we can't get
the system to suspend or soft-eject the cards.

> Also, there is a BIOS option (perhaps controlled via PS2) that
> prevents the system from timer-suspending when running on AC (or in
> a dock) -- however, I wouldn't think that would affect user-initiate
> suspends (ie. Fn-F4).

Iirc, that option is off.

> So, what were the exact conditions that cause the failure (inability
> to suspend)?

Running Linux (2.2.18pre23, pcmcia-cs 3.1.23), using AC, Linksys
PCMCIA 16-bit ethernet/modem combo card.

> Also, what combinations do result in a proper suspend (e.g., does
> Fn-F4 suspend, but closing the lid does not)?

Removing AC or the card and doing a Fn-F4 or closing the lid, or
telling apmd to suspend with apm -s.

It is Fortune, not Wisdom, that rules man's life.