[ltp] Mandrake 7.2 irq conflict

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:31:29 -0700 (MST)

After installing Mandrake 7.2 on my 760EL TP, I had a difficult time setting
up the sound card (it had worked fine with Mandrake 6.1). It required
modifying /etc/modules.conf to include the ESS1688 configuration lines.

At this point, the sound card worked... sometimes. There was an IRQ
conflict with the PCMCIA modem. The pcmcia init scripts sometimes set
the modem card at irq 5, which the sound card needs. The solution to this is
to add the following line to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts :
  exclude irq 5
This prevents assignment of this IRQ to any pcmcia card.

I don't know if this will help anyone with a different model TP, but I would
be gratified if it does.

The old distro-upgrade blues...

Mendel