[ltp] Re: New A20p questions - sound and external monitor

Wayne Scott linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:31:07 -0800

From: jrogers@mjrogers.com
> Well, I downloaded the Xig drivers for my A20p, installed the RPM's and it
> made a mess.   It took a bit of poking around to get it uninstalled and to
> get XFree working again.  I'm sure I did something wrong, but it would
> seem I need kernel source to install.

I just installed the Xig DEMO LX sever on my A20p running Debian.

The install worked fine and X came right up.  It also drove the
display on my external monitor just fine.  I was very excited.

Here are the problems I had:

* It was fixed at a resolution of 1024x768.  This agrees with their
  webpage at http://www.xig.com/Pages/LX/LaptopMfgrs/Laptops_IBM.html
  but I assumed it was just a typo because the A20p display is
  1450x1050.   It might have been a configuration problem but...

* The install mentioned running Xsetup before running the server, but
  that program just seg faulted on my machine.  I suspect it only
  works on RedHat linux.  (These things should be staticly linked...)

* The install wrote the server and all support files to /usr/X11R6,
  trashing by existing Xfree86 server.  This is VERY UNFRENDLY.  As
  with Jeff it took my a while to get my previous setup working again.
  They should write to a different directory or as least make the
  uninstall program undo every change that the install programs made.
  (I was stuck on the changed /etc/X11/X link.)

So while Accelerated X does work on an A20p, it is not terribly useful
if only a resolution of 1024x768 is supported.

Wayne Scott		        MD6 Architecture - Intel Corp.
wscott@ichips.intel.com		Work #: (503) 613-5063
Disclaimer:  All views expressed are my own opinions, and not necessarily
             those of Intel Corporation.