[ltp] Re: New A20p questions - sound and external monitor

Tue, 09 Jan 2001 20:22:02 GMT

--=_alternative 0072A638852569CF_=

I spoke with Xig last week.  They tell me I should use the boxed generic
2D product, rather than the A20p specific 3D product.  They tell me this
because I switch laptops often, and the 2D boxed product contains drivers
for many laptops.  I'd basically be screwed if I had the 3D product and
switched to a newer laptop.

This blew me away - I can't buy the 2D product online - I have to mail
order it.  In any event, I spent some time on the phone with the guy in
the support department, he was very helpful, I asked him specifically
about the 1024x768 resolution listed for the a20p as it has a 1400x1050
display.  He went off to look at some notes and said it should work at the
higher resolution.  Exactly how, I'm not sure, something in the monitor
config if I recall.

I need to download the 2D demo and try it out.  But to do that, I need to
install the kernel source.  I'm running RH7 and using vmware, and vmware
does not like the 2.2.16-22 kernel.  So what I really need is a kernel
update, which with RH 7 means it is time for me to learn how to config a
kernel as there are no RPM updates that I can find.  I'm not going to do
anything with Xig until I get a kernel I like on my laptop.  Actually,
since my calls with Xig, I'm not real sure I'm going to purchase the
product.  I'm a little leery of a company that markets a product to
advanced Linux users, but makes me mail order it, pay shipping, and wait
around for FexEx to show up.

What I should really do, is go find out if the XFree driver is ever going
to support the external display.  If not, I'll just go back to my 770Z,
and RH6.2 until it does.

-JeffR

Wayne Scott <wscott@ichips.intel.com>
01/09/01 02:31 PM