[ltp] i1210 - New Subscriber!

Douglas E. Mitton linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:28:19 -0500 (EST)

Hello All;

I have just recently (over Christmas) installed Mandrake 7.2 on an i1210
(500Mhz Celeron, 32Meg, 6Gig) with very good success.  Before even
starting I increased the memory to 96Meg and added a LinkSys Combo network
card to it.

The only real issue I had was that the default XFree86 V4.01 wouldn't
recognize my SMI LynxEM+ video chipset.  I immediately updated to the 4.02
XFree86 that had a "siliconmotion" driver.  I still had to manually update
the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file from "vga" to "siliconmotion" driver.

I have since come to the conclusion that there is a problem with the
Xconfigurator utility in that it always defaults to the "vga" driver.  I
have since reverted back to the frame buffer LILO option and manually
edited /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to the "fbdev" driver and found it is working
much better, perfectly in fact.  I think if I had done this on the
original installation I wouldn't have had to upgrade to XFree86 v4.02.

I haven't done anything with the USB ports yet but I do want to add a
3.5" drive and a serial port so that will be my first USB exposure.  The
built-in modem still doesn't work but I accepted that right from the start
when I selected this laptop model.  I just picked up a ZOOM 56K DualMode
to use for portable use and it installed perfectly and transparently.

Has anyone had any successes on this model with USB and maybe the built-in
WinModem?  Any USB serial options that are known to work?

[I am a new subscriber and this post is to introduce myself and see if my
subscription works.]