[ltp] 770X Batteries

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 18:02:09 -0800

I agreee - that this is somewhat irritating, although the critique is qualified.  I was VERY satisfied with the laptop and battery performance until this happened - it provided very good battery perf
until it just went blooey.  Hero to zero in one day.
Becasue of this, I suspect an electronics failure rather than a battery failure - a number of people have mentioned that this battery has some kind of on-board controller to help it maintain
charge/prevent overcharge and I suspect that it's this that lost its mind for some reason.

I'm a bit ticked that I ihave to spend $200 to get a new battery (! a bit cheaper than IBM's $245 (from laptopsforless.com, which seems to have an odd number of aliases) - the cheapest I was able to
find after several hours of searching.

FWIW..

hjm

Brian Button wrote:

> I have to agree. I got two new ones a little less than a year ago, as
> warrantee replacements, and they are both already going bad. If anyone knows
> of something cheaper than the stock IBM batteries, I'd love to know...
>
> bab
>
> ----
> Brian Button       bbutton@objectmentor.com
> Senior Consultant  Object Mentor, Inc.
> St. Louis, MO      http://www.objectmentor.com
>
> > I think I started that thread, my battery seemed a bit better
> > for a little
> > time, but is now gives me 30 seconds to run accross a room!
> >
> > If you find a cheep supply of batteries twll me, they seemed
> > very pricy
> > for something that will die again in a year :-(
> >
> > James

Cheers,
Harry

Harry J Mangalam -- (949) 856 2847 (v&f) -- hjm@ncgr.org || mangalam@home.com