Thinkpad Freezing (Re: [ltp] Odd apm issue)

Rodd Zurcher linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:22:11 -0600

--On Wednesday, January 24, 2001 09:47:56 -0500 "D. Sen"
<dsen@research.att.com> wrote:

[ scrolling X hang discussion deleted ]

> Do other people experience the freezing? It does not co-incide with any
> messages in the syslog. The only out of it is to do a power-recycle.

Yup. Same here. Seems a known timing bug in some Savage/MX/IX chipset (per
Tim) seems the windows drivers have workarounds, but they are difficult to
implement in linux.

We have 2 T20's with identical linux installs and only 1 exhibits the X
lockup problem.

I've tired just not installing the sound drivers and several APM
configurations (switching to vt1, etc) and I still hang 3 out of10 times
when comming out of sleep.

What X driver does IBM use when shipping Linux on a T20? Do they have the
problem?

rbz

Rodd Zurcher
Member Technical Staff