[ltp] tp600 / rh7.1 install/run issues

Bradley W. Langhorst linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 18:47:16 -0400

> -------
>
> That's the scoop. I attempted an install of Mandrake 8.0 today and it seemed
> as though it was progressing well until I had to utilize the built-in
> pointer and found it was non-operational and therefore had to discontinue
> the install. Apparently the lack of support for the Thinkpad mouse/pointer
> in Mandrake 8.0 is a known issue.
>
> Any ideas on this one? I'm at a loss and IBM doesn't sound as if they're
> interested in supporting this faithful (albeit fading) customer...
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Wagner

I can't explain the lockup issues. It may be hardware - given the failed tests.

However, your win2k results seem to eliminate that possibility.
But I think I read that mandrake does not detect the trackpoint
properly.  I've never used it but maybe somebody else here can comment
on that.  You also might try installing an older disitribution like
debian potato or redhat 6.

good luck

brad