[ltp] tp600 / rh7.1 install/run issues

Wagner One linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 04 Jul 2001 01:48:28 -0500

Thanks for all the comments regarding the non-functionaly pointer on
Mandrake 8.0. I appreciate them, but that really isn't my problem (I
mentioned I found that to be a known problem later in the original message.

I'm interested in installing  RH7.1 on this machine as that is what I'm mos=
familiar with and the bulk of the original message is concerned with that
distro. I tried the Mandrake distro out of desperation to see if it would d=
anything.

This evening I reverted to RH7.0 and all is well as far as the actual
install went. For some reason my 3com PCI card was not detected and I was
not offered the option to set up network interfaces in the install process.
I can work around that, but seems pretty lame that RH7.0 can't detect this
3com network adapter when RH6.2 did (if I remember correctly). Ah well, at
least I have something usable on it now. :)

Does anyone at all have a straight/fresh RH7.1 install on a TP600 (original
600(no suffix))???

Thanks,
Mike

On 7/3/2001 16:50, Wagner One wrote:

> I'll start this with my letter that was going to accompany my tp600 on it=
's
> trip back to IBM before they, in so many words, told me "it's not our
> problem".
>=20
>=20
> 7/3/2001
>=20
> IBM Thinkpad 600
> Model/Type: 2645=AD45U
> Aftermarket hardware: 3com 10/100 PCI network (3CCFE575BT)
>=20
>=20
> Problem:
>=20
> System freezes when attempting to install/use various distributions of
> Linux.
>=20
>=20
> History:
>=20
> * System was running Redhat 6.2 for upwards of a year with no perceivable
> problems.
> * System was upgraded to Redhat 7.0 successfully.
> * System was left untouched for upwards of a month (running on AC power).
> * Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
> (booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI sta=
ge
> of the installer.
> * BIOS upgrades were performed to raise versions to latest, current versi=
on
> * Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
> (booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI sta=
ge
> of the installer.
> * MS Windows 2000 was successfully installed and operated two weeks with =
no
> perceivable problems.
> * New battery, Ram and HD were purchased and installed
> * New images of the Redhat 7.1 install discs were downloaded (md5sum
> verified)
> * Attempts to install Redhat 7.1 were unsuccessful. The Redhat installer
> (booting from the internal CD) freezes shortly after entering the GUI sta=
ge
> of the installer.
> * An attempt to install the Mandrake 8.0 distribution reacted similarly t=
> the Redhat install attempts=8A freezing shortly after the GUI portion of th=
> install initiated.
>=20
>=20
> Notes:
>=20
> * An attempt was made to boot the dysfunctional Thinkpad 600 via a HD fro=
> an identical Thinkpad 600 (same model number, etc.), that is running an
> install of Redhat 7.1 was unsuccessful. The dysfunctional system froze in
> the GUI/X startup. Falling back to text console also resulted in freezes
> (i'm double-checking this statement this evening after questioning from m=
> [...]

--=20
Mike Wagner
Ein falsches totes Erscheinen ist besser als ein guter Tag an der Arbeit...
wagner@enteract.com, wagner@well.com, wagner@teamschoeps.org