[ltp] can't detect all 256 MB of RAM (RH 6.2, 2.2.14 on 770X)

Vivek Dasmohapatra linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 00:12:14 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Stefano Casadei wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have 256 MB of RAM on my Thinkpad 770X that are detected
> correctly by Windows 98.
>
> However, my RH 6.2 only sees 64MB.

You need to tell the kernel how much memory you have. Old BIOSes didn't
provide enough/any info about memory > 64Mb, so that was all the kernel
would/could check for.

Basically, a line of:

append="mem=128M"

in your lilo config file, or booting kernel image FOO with

FOO mem=128M

at the lilo prompt should fix this. A more modern BIOS/kernel combination
[either or both could be at fault] might well do away with this problem
altogether.

HTH

--
Nobody wants constructive criticism.  It's all we can do to put up with
constructive praise.