[ltp] A21 / 2.4.6

Anthony de Boer linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:07:53 -0400

ben knight wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten a 2.4.6 kernel running on an A21e or similar?  If so,
> > what patches did you apply, if any, and could I see a copy of your .config?
>
> I've running an A21m under 2.4.6 quite happily. Kernel's straight out of
> the box [so to speak] - plain sources. No patches.

Hmmm.  Still no joy.  Tried:

  - reinstall RH7.1 in case prior crashes corrupted something
  - grab 2.4.6 tarball (as it came from kernel.org)
  - make mrproper
  - copy your config as .config
  - make oldconfig
  - verify this hasn't changed .config (comments get munged, though)
  - make dep
  - make install
  - make modules
  - make modules_install
  - edit /etc/lilo.conf to add a section for the 2.4.6 kernel
  - lilo
  - reboot

And it freezes with "INIT: version 2.78 booting" as the last message.
Errors to do with agpgart at the top of screen, though.  RedHat's kernel
(2.4.2-2) still boots.

Will wade through CONFIG_ options yet again, try and find out what RedHat
was sacrificing and to whom when they built their kernel, and maybe see
if it was something that broke in the 2.4.2 -> 2.4.6 path.  I suppose a
build from their kernel-source RPM would be a good starting point.  I do
want to be able to build my own kernels, though, and not have to stick
with an unmodifiable vendor one.

--
Anthony de Boer