[ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at random

doowirb7@home.com linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:23:18 -0400

I disabled the cover-closed suspend function in ps2, and since then it has
only gone to sleep on me once in several hours of usage (which I'm hoping
was just a fluke).  But still very often when I turn it on, right before
it's about to check for a bootdisk, it gives a long, low pitched beep and
shuts off.  Usually if I let it sit for 20 minutes it'll work again.  I was
also thinking it could be a BIOS problem... I tried upgrading it but it says
I need a battery (which I don't have).  Does the BIOS upgrade program
actually check the level of the battery?  If it doesn't, there's always
someone selling a dead battery for the 770 on eBay :-D