[ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at random

Yvon Dubois linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:49:34 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C113C1.5C58E4B0

It request a battery so that if you have a (110VAC)power loss during the
bios upgrade (programming the flash) it doesn't transform your notebook into
an expensive paper weight. In other words you need a working battery for the
duration of the bios upgrade.

Yvon

-----Original Message-----
From: doowirb7@home.com [mailto:doowirb7@home.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 2:23 PM
To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Subject: Re: [ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at random

I disabled the cover-closed suspend function in ps2, and since then it has
only gone to sleep on me once in several hours of usage (which I'm hoping
was just a fluke).  But still very often when I turn it on, right before
it's about to check for a bootdisk, it gives a long, low pitched beep and
shuts off.  Usually if I let it sit for 20 minutes it'll work again.  I was
also thinking it could be a BIOS problem... I tried upgrading it but it says
I need a battery (which I don't have).  Does the BIOS upgrade program
actually check the level of the battery?  If it doesn't, there's always
someone selling a dead battery for the 770 on eBay :-D

on 7/23/01 2:56 AM, Nicolai Nielsen at DUFVA@dk.ibm.com wrote:

>I had a similar problem with my 600E and it turned out to be nothing but
> the detect-when-the-lid-is-closed-switch<tm> that was broken.
>
> You can test it by turning off the suspend-when-lid-is-closed<tm> function
> of the thinkpad utilities (don't know it it can be done from PS2.EXE).
>

>> After about 5 minutes since I
>> booted, while I was doing the package selection, it just suspended for no
>> reason.  I woke it up and resumed the package selection and about 10
>> minutes
>> later it just shut off suddenly while SuSE was installing! I tried the
>> install again, but this time after about 45 seconds, it suspended again.
>> With every attempt  made to wake it up, it would just show the screen for
>> a second then go back to suspend.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C113C1.5C58E4B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: [ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at random</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It request a battery so that if you have a =
(110VAC)power loss during the bios upgrade (programming the flash) it =
doesn't transform your notebook into an expensive paper weight. In =
other words you need a working battery for the duration of the bios =
upgrade.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Yvon</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: doowirb7@home.com [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:doowirb7@home.com">mailto:doowirb7@home.com</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 2:23 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: [ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at =
random</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I disabled the cover-closed suspend function in ps2, =
and since then it has</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>only gone to sleep on me once in several hours of =
usage (which I'm hoping</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>was just a fluke).&nbsp; But still very often when I =
turn it on, right before</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>it's about to check for a bootdisk, it gives a long, =
low pitched beep and</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>shuts off.&nbsp; Usually if I let it sit for 20 =
minutes it'll work again.&nbsp; I was</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>also thinking it could be a BIOS problem... I tried =
upgrading it but it says</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I need a battery (which I don't have).&nbsp; Does =
the BIOS upgrade program</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>actually check the level of the battery?&nbsp; If it =
doesn't, there's always</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>someone selling a dead battery for the 770 on eBay =
:-D</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>on 7/23/01 2:56 AM, Nicolai Nielsen at =
DUFVA@dk.ibm.com wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;I had a similar problem with my 600E and it =
turned out to be nothing but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; the =
detect-when-the-lid-is-closed-switch&lt;tm&gt; that was broken.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; You can test it by turning off the =
suspend-when-lid-is-closed&lt;tm&gt; function</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; of the thinkpad utilities (don't know it it can =
be done from PS2.EXE).</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; After about 5 minutes since I</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; booted, while I was doing the package =
selection, it just suspended for no</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; reason.&nbsp; I woke it up and resumed the =
package selection and about 10</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; minutes</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; later it just shut off suddenly while SuSE =
was installing! I tried the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; install again, but this time after about 45 =
seconds, it suspended again.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; With every attempt&nbsp; made to wake it =
up, it would just show the screen for</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt; a second then go back to suspend.</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is =
at:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.bm-soft.com/~bm/tp_mailing.html</A></FONT>