[ltp] ThinkPad 770 suspend/shutdown at random

Burt Silverman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:03:49 -0400

>>It request a battery so that if you have a (110VAC)power loss during the
bios upgrade (programming the flash) it doesn't >>transform your notebook
into an expensive paper weight. In other words you need a working battery
for the duration of the >>bios upgrade.

You need working power for the duration of the BIOS upgrade. Personally, I
might take a chance with just line A/C, considering the length of time it
takes to do an upgrade, but you can never be certain. Other possibilities
are obtaining a UPS (which is another form of battery).

Certainly it would be nice to have an up to date BIOS before spending more
time figuring out suspend/shutdown problems. My 770 works without these
problems, and I can use the cover suspend feature. I don't do a lot of
suspend/resume, although I did incorporate it into the latest ibmtr_cs.c
Token Ring driver (I can't recall if it got incorporated yet into the
official stream).

Burt