[ltp] Re: new RH 7.1 on a t21

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
31 Jul 2001 16:54:30 +0200

    KY> Hi,

[...]

    KY> Second, I use some web conferencing software called vrvs and sound no
    KY> longer works for it (makes the teleconferencing aspects pretty useless
    KY> !). Sound seems to work fine otherwise but the vrvs people claim it's
    KY> the lousy driver that Red Hat provides for the CS4297A rev B sound chip
    KY> in the T21 that's the problem. Has anybody had this problem ? Would it
    KY> be straightforward to back out the new driver for this chip and use the
    KY> old one (i.e. whatever was working in RH 6.2, provided that the vrvs
    KY> folks are right) ?

You might want to try the ALSA sound stuff. I've got it working on my
T21 and it works quite nicely (for DVD playback, for exampe, it's
better then OSS).

Here's my /etc/modules.conf file (the relevant sections):

# ALSA
alias char-major-116 snd
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1

# ALSA driver for CS46xx
alias snd-card-0 snd-card-cs46xx
options snd-card-cs46xx snd_index=0 snd_id="CS46xx"

# ALSA OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

I used the 0.9.x series ALSA stuff.

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann, IBM Research Division, Zurich Research Lab, Switzerland
Email: hud@zurich.ibm.com ----------- WWW: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

"We are Linux. Resistance is an indication that you missed the point."