[ltp] How do I get a full-size console? TP600E and kernel 2.4.3

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 05:41:06 +0200 (MET DST)

I am sorry -- this should be simple.

I have recently upgraded "everything" on my old TP600E.  I went to
RedHat 7.1 (since the Mandrake installation left me without a mouse),
kernel 2.4.3, XFree86 4.0.3, the works.  (In the middle of this process,
my 'pad has had three trips to the IBM repair center, but I hope it is
well now.)

Being of a kind that might consider working in the bare consoles from
time to time, I definitely want to have the full-size screen in the
consoles.  With the stock 2.4.2 kernel, this can be accomplished with
a "vga=791" line in /etc/lilo.conf

With the kernels I compile myself, I've been unable to make this work.
Naturally, I configure

CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y

If I set

CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y

I get blank consoles upon boot.  (backlight on -- no glyphs).  If I
disable this option, I don't get the full-size console.  I've tried
logging in on a blank console (typing blind) and then start X, but no
luck -- not sure if I'm mistyping something or if I don't have a
console at all.

I notice Thomas Hood's .config
<URL:http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/config-2.4.5-ac4>
has CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT unset.

I suspect I'm looking at the wrong configuration option.  Can someone
please point me in the right direction?  I know this is possible.

(As for other things -- I really like the new version of X, and I got
the internal modem to work again after the upgrade with no trouble at
all.  Haven't tried IR or sound yet.)

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau