[ltp] newbie: what's the best distribution for ThinkPad 600E?

rik linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:42:23 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

Personally, I've used Slackware, OpenBSD and TrustedBSD (current).

Slackware was easy for me, since I know Slackware anyway. Most other
people who have web pages about their Thinkpad 600's use either Red Hat or
Debian, but the config files they put online are sufficient (with a little
poking) to get working with Slackware too.

OpenBSD was a very easy. All the hardware was supported with the GENERIC
kernel. Even the sound. However, OpenBSD lacks a tpctl equivalent, and the
internal inertia is amazing. I decided not to bother porting to OpenBSD,
however, I may yet port to FreeBSD.

TrustedBSD is the same ease of installation. It picked up all the
hardware, and it's happy. It has a much better ports tree though, and I
can secure it better. Still not as good as Linux 2.4 + grsecurity + LIDS,
but getting there.

rik