[ltp] Hardware or X Config Problem on TP 560...

Daniel Freedman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:10:52 -0400

Hi,

I'm hoping for some suggestions in narrowing down the search space of
the problem I'm encountering running Debian Potato (2.2r3) with my IBM
Thinkpad 560.  I recently exchanged the laptop's motherboard
(including DC/DC) as the old mb had faulty cpu/cache memory (unit
nominally ran Potato fine except always got Sig11 on kernel compiles;
new board passes kernel compiles with flying colors).  It was an
interesting process, I'll explain more if anyone's curious.

At first, the unit worked perfectly after this swap.  However, after a
day or so, the LCD screen image on initial boot into XDM started
getting very garbled on the upper right portion (consoles still work
fine); LCD is active matrix, BTW.  Interestingly enough, if I press
Function F7, which is the IBM Thinkpad hardware hotkey to switch
between internal video (LCD) and external VGA adapter (for monitor),
and then switch back to internal LCD, the screen image is restored,
and will continue to work properly (which belies the initial belief
that it's a hardware issue, as does perfect operation from the getgo
in consoles/boot message).  I'm guessing there's a possibility that
the onboard Trident video chipset of the new mb might need a slightly
different XF86Config setup.  However, both motherboards belong to
exact same IBM part number: 2640-F0E, and both use nominally the same
Trident Cyber9385 chipset (so this makes XF86Config issue harder to
believe/understand).

Does anyone have suggestions on which road to look down first?  I can
post laptop's XF86Config if people want to see it, but I've held off
on that for now to conserve the list's bandwidth.  I've already
searched google and list archives on topic without success.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics