[ltp] aol

Alex Morris linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 05:06:12 -0700

Wow. What timing! I had this conversation only two days ago:

AOL: Good afternoon, AOL. How may we rip you off?
Me:  Good afternoon. I'd like to find out about subscribing. I've got one=
 of your CDs but the software on it doesn't run under Linux.
AOL: That's right. We don't support Linux. We only support Windows.
Me:  Fair enough. All I need to be able to do is set up a connection. Wha=
t are your dial-up numbers and server addresses? I can set up the connect=
ion myself.
AOL: We're not telling you. Nyah nyah nyah! You have to use our proprieta=
ry software.
Me:  But it doesn't run under Linux.
AOL: You're right.
Me:  So what are you going to do about it?
AOL: Nothing. We couldn't care less about Linux. We won't be offering sup=
port for it in the future either.
Me:  Fair enough. I shan't be using your company's services then. Goodbye=
=2E

Okay, so the above is somewhat paraphrased, but it gets the point across.=
 Now, the phone jockey to whom I spoke had to wander off after every ques=
tion to get confirmation of each answer, so it's reasonably safe to assum=
e that she wasn't making the answers up on the spot and that this is the =
official party line within AOL about Linux.

Will AOL change its corporate mind? I haven't the faintest idea. Let's se=
e what happens.

Alex