[ltp] Hibernate on Thinkpad T21 with Win2k + RH71

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:28:29 +0200

Ravi Pratap M wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
>      While still on the subject of hibernation, here's my experience :
>
>      I have an A21m which came with Win 98 pre-installed. It happily
> suspends itself and hibernates under Windows.
>
>      I installed RH 7.1 and it worked like a charm out of the box.
> Suspend, hibernate etc work beautifully. From what I've gathered, there
> isn't a separate hibernation partition, just a file which you can manage
> from your Thinkpad assistant.

So it seems like RH 7.1 uses ACPI (which is still considered to be
experimental according to the kernel sources' documentation) by default
- instead of APM which was the default under kernel version 2.2 and is
still used by e.g. by SuSE 7.1 with the 2.4 kernel. ACPI does not
require a separate hibernation partition while APM does.

Markus