[ltp] ThinkPad button

Keith Frechette linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 22:54:55 -0400

--=_alternative 001027C385256A62_=

Marlin Whitaker wrote:

Can anyone tell me how the ThinkPad button works? Right now
it only works in KDE1. Suppose I wanted it to function in KDE2,
or load a page other than the default, or do something altogether
different. Would any of that be possible?
<<

Marlin,

The ThinkPad button is controlled via a daemon process that is launched
via the KDE and Gnome "Startup" mechanisms. For KDE, there is an entry
called "ThinkPad Button" in the "Autostart" folder. For Gnome, the daemon
is launched via the "Startup Programs" settings in the GNOME Control
Center.

To make the ThinkPad button work in KDE2 (or some other desktop), just use
that desktop's "startup" mechanism to launch the ThinkPad button daemon
(/opt/IBM/AccessThinkPad/gtpbutton), passing it the command to run
whenever the ThinkPad button is pressed.

-- Keith

Keith Frechette
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761

--=_alternative 001027C385256A62_=

it only works in KDE1. Suppose I wanted it to function in KDE2,<br>
or load a page other than the default, or do something altogether<br>
different. Would any of that be possible?</tt></font>
Marlin,</font>
Linux Development Lead, Mobile Computing Options and Software Development<br>
IBM Research Triangle Park, North Carolina<br>
kfrechet@us.ibm.com / 919-543-3761 / TieLine:441-3761<br>
--=_alternative 001027C385256A62_=--