[ltp] Switch off display automatically?

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:04:22 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Tilmann Singer wrote:

> Hi
>
> > Make sure "DPMS" is enabled in your X server.
> > (DPMS is the power save system for monitors)
>
> On my A20p running X 4.0.3 (ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF graphic card) i
> see this line in the xfree log:
>
> (WW) R128(0): Option "DPMS" is not used
>
> Although there is an
>
> Option          "DPMS"
>
> line in the Monitor Section of XFree86.conf

Are you sure this is the file which is read by the X server?

I know I was bitten by this.  XFree86 v.4.0.3 on RedHat 7.1 uses a file
called

    /etc/X11/XF86Config

while on Mandrake 8.0, the file for XFree86 4 is called

    /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

The syntax is slightly different between version 3 and 4.  If you have
sections called "InputDevice" and no sections called "Mouse", you are
probably looking at a version 4 config file.

> Propably as a result xset does not work:
>
> tils@tp:~$ xset dpms force off
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  137 (DPMS)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  6 (DPMSForceLevel)
>   Serial number of failed request:  11

... and this is exactly why your screen isn't being blanked.

> Does anybody know why X is not using the DPMS option?

See the above.

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau