[ltp] Mandrake 8.0 works (why?)

Gerald linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
06 Jun 2001 20:03:35 -0400

Your Thinkpad was one of the few that was within the specs needed (time
allotted) for the install to detect
the mouse. The rest of us have machines that take too long and time out.
That is what I understand the issue to be and it is
supposedly because of a patch they made to the 2.4.3 kernel to fix other
problems so they could release on time WITH 2.4.3.
AFAI concerned, because of the number of Thinkpads out there, it was a
very bad maneuver. What ticks me
off and here is the warning to others on this, they alluded that they
would apply a patch for this problem on the
box set by the time they shipped in mid May. I re-read, and they gave
themselves a good out the way they said
"probably". It was a damn lie. They actually shipped with a well
publicized bug. I'm not happy because I bought it
trying to get around this problem and financially help out a distro I
like. I'm sorry I did it now because I'm out of the
money and I'll still have to spend my time cobbling out the fix.

Didn't mean to vent, just letting anyone else considering that route
know that it is a bust.

Gerald