[ltp] T22 Q's

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:16:09 +0200

Les Bell wrote:

> At my wife's insistence <g>, I've just ordered myself a T22 with the works.
> Got a few questions, though.
>
> 1. I *need* (don't ask!) 512 MB of RAM. The only way to do this is to pull
> the default 128 MB SIMM and populate the two slots with two x 256MB SIMMs,
> and so the dealer is going to hand me the leftover 128 MB SIMM. Can I use
> this in my old TP600e (2845-8AU)?

Hmm, the other way round it would surely not work, as the 600E has a 66
MHz system bus, while the T series have a 100 MHz and require SDRAMs to
fit this speed. But the "downgrade" (i.e. putting the 100 MHz SDRAMs
into the 66 MHz machine) could work. At least the voltage is the same
(3.3 V).

You may try it, but don't blame me if it doesn't work (or ruins your
machine!). ;-) Maybe someone else who has already done this?

> 2. I pleaded, I cajoled, but the model with preloaded Linux is not
> available in Australia, so I'm stuck with Win2K initially. Is there any way
> to get the DVD player code as an upgrade or some other way? Keith?

There are also quite a few other (free) DVD players around.

> 3. Any other hints for this machine?

IMHO, the same as for the T21. I guess the only difference is CPU speed,
isn't it?

Markus