[ltp] Ethernet card problem on a i1452, RH 7.1

Ravi Pratap M linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:50:18 +0530 (IST)

Hi John,

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Jones, John wrote:

> whole thing looks great; I'm having a problem with my ether net card though.

	Is yours a PCMCIA Ethernet card or a built-in one ?

> Bringing up interface eth0:   Delaying eth0 initialization
> [FAILED]

	For PCMCIA Ethernet cards, this is usually okay because the pcmcia
daemon comes up later in the boot sequence and then brings up your eth0
intereface.

	However, if you have a built-in Ethernet card, this probably means
that the correct driver isn't being loaded for the card.

	It would help if you could identify the card for us by posting the
relevant lines (or the whole file :-) from :

	/etc/sysconfig/hwconf

	We could then see what driver etc you need for your card to work.

> rp3 1.1.0 runs in my tray down at the bottom,  with  "0:01  30B","0:01
> 20B","0:01 130B","0:01  243B" painting quietly in a small window beside a
> tiny usage type graph.

	Hmm, maybe you need to set some network parameters like netmask,
gateway etc ?

	It would help to see the output of :

	# ifconfig -a

	Do you see the eth0 interface ?

	Please post your findings and we can make some headway.

	Regards,

		Ravi

--
"If you're smart, you'll be humble. There always is somebody
who hasn't read a book and knows twice as much as you do."

              -- David Duchonvy in Readers' Digest

	Ravi Pratap M         <ravi@che.iitm.ac.in>
                      <http://www.iitm.ac.in/~ravi>