[ltp] [slightly OT] windows+linux coexistence

George Staikos linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:08:56 -0400

   I just bought a new 20gb travelstar for my i series machine and I'm having
all kinds of problems getting windows to load on it.  I tried creating the
partition table and installing windows first(before linux).  After the
recovery stage, when it rebooted it gave me a Disk I/O error.  I said "screw
it" and installed Mandrake on the disk.  This went by with ease - no problems
at all.  I've been using it for a few weeks now.  Today I decided to try to
get Windows to go again.  Basically the best I can do is get it to either a)
trash my partition table and not boot   or b) immediately print "Disk I/O
error".   I'm using the original recovery CD that came with the machine.  Are
there any solutions for this?  Is there anything I can do?  I'm guessing that
the Win98 cd can't handle 20gb disks.

Quite honestly I would just like to get:

  - reasonable DVD playing  (something has regressed recently and now I get
20% skipped frames in xine - not good enough to watch a movie)
  - specs for the easylaunch keys so I don't have to try to reverse engineer
the damned things.

   (Yes IBM, you still haven't given us any specs on this.)

Thanks

--

George Staikos