[ltp] screen going blank on Thinkpad 760XL

Tom Grydeland linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 18:27:44 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001, Hamish Kibblewhite wrote:

> Hi,
>        does anyone know how I can *STOP* the screen going blank on a 760XL
> running Linux.
>
> Have tried a bunch of things so far.
>
> Latest bios.  tpctl commands. ...
> xset, setterm...

You'll need to disable *all* the various screen saver/screen blanker
functions that can blank your screen, but it sounds like you're on the
right track.

>From what you say, I believe you're using X.  Under X, xset can disable
screen blanking and DPMS (power saving) features

    xset s off
    xset -dpms

You can use 'xset q' to query the settings -- make sure the changes have
taken place.

'tpctl' can be used to disable the various timeout events of the TP
itself, 'tpctl --pdx' to list current settings.  You want to disable
(set to 0) both the -pdH and -pdZ timeouts.

    tpctl --pdH=0 --pdZ=0

It sounds like this is close to (or maybe the same as) what you've tried
already.  You don't say exactly, so I don't know.

Hope this helps!

--
//Tom Grydeland <Tom.Grydeland@phys.uit.no>

	"you cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind." -- H. D. Thoreau