[ltp] Sound problem with the Esound demon on a TP i200

Falco Cesare linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:08:35 +0200

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0FA3A.221F55E0

Hi folks!

I'm currently running a Debian 2.2 system (with kernel 2.4.4) on my TP i200
(serial 1161-41G).

All worked well (apart from that pretty winmodem ;^/ ) until I upgraded the
Gnome desktop to version 1.4.
In console all is ok, but I can't get the esound demon to work properly
anymore.

First I tried the OSS modules, and after some minute any event sound would
hang the entire desktop. Killing the esd process did unfreeze all the
windows, but I realized that wouldn't be a nice solution for the problem...

So I installed the ALSA driver from source and things went worst. Starting
the esound demon takes a pair of minutes or so and no sound at all comes
from the demon, while everything works fine in console and even Xmms with
the OSS plugin "sounds good".

Any suggestion? Did anyone experience the same problem?

Thanks.
Cesare.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0FA3A.221F55E0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.5.2651.75">
<TITLE>Sound problem with the Esound demon on a TP i200</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Hi folks!</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm currently running a Debian 2.2 =
system (with kernel 2.4.4) on my TP i200 (serial 1161-41G).</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">All worked well (apart from that =
pretty winmodem ;^/ ) until I upgraded the Gnome desktop to version =
1.4.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In console all is ok, but I can't get =
the esound demon to work properly anymore.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">First I tried the OSS modules, and =
after some minute any event sound would hang the entire desktop. =
Killing the esd process did unfreeze all the windows, but I realized =
that wouldn't be a nice solution for the problem...</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">So I installed the ALSA driver from =
source and things went worst. Starting the esound demon takes a pair of =
minutes or so and no sound at all comes from the demon, while =
everything works fine in console and even Xmms with the OSS plugin =
&quot;sounds good&quot;.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Any suggestion? Did anyone experience =
the same problem?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Cesare.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C0FA3A.221F55E0--