[ltp] Unexplained crashes on Thinkpad T21

Nigel Metheringham linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
22 Jun 2001 17:17:21 +0100

I have a relatively new Thinkpad T21.
It is currently exhibiting unexplained and hard to debug crashes/hangs.

These can happen when the machine is being used, or when it is idle.
They tend to be a little more common when its idle (so implicating
things like Xscreensaver, although killing Xscreensaver gave a hang an
hour or so later).  They have always happened when X is running (but
then I run X all the time).  They have happened under the RH install
kernel (2.4.2 hacked), 2.4.5, 2.4.5ac4, 2.2.20pre2 & 2.2.20pre5.

I have tried resetting the BIOS (which is the most current version for
the T21), and removing anything running that I thought could be the
cause.

The laptop has been on mains power through all of these - so funky
powersaving should not be cutting in.

I *think* they may only have happened when someone is logged in using a
gnome session - last night when it was left logged out it lasted all
night without a crash.

The box is running Red Hat 7.1 with ximian gnome.

Any suggestions as to whats causing this??
[Next suggestion is going to be to remove all the sound drivers just in
case]

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]