[ltp] Unexplained crashes on Thinkpad T21

Neil Jerram linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
22 Jun 2001 17:38:09 +0100

    DS> Which version of X are you using?  If its 4.x.x, then do you
    DS> have ' Option "ShadowStatus" " in the device section of your
    DS> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4?

    DS> DS

    DS> Nigel Metheringham wrote:

    >> I have a relatively new Thinkpad T21.  It is currently
    >> exhibiting unexplained and hard to debug crashes/hangs. [...]

FWIW, I also have a new T21, and see similar hangs to those you
describe.  I use Debian Potato (2.2), which I believe has XFree86
version 3.  (How can I get the exact version of X, BTW?)

I only get the hangs when running Gnome, and I've found empirically
that I get them much _less_ if I don't use Alt-TAB to switch between
windows.  (Which is a shame, since I like Alt-TAB!)

Maybe these clues might help...

        Neil