[ltp] Re: Some questions on the T21

Dirk Husemann linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
29 Jun 2001 10:39:25 +0200

[...]

    NM> In general my T21 is running very nicely now, however here are the
    NM> current problems I am hitting - for reference I am running a RH71
    NM> install with ximian stuff on top.

    NM>   1. Booting on battery gives a system that works, other than
    NM>      X mouse focus stuff goes all to pot.  I have seen comments
    NM>      that booting off battery doesn't work, but can't see why
    NM>      unless its a case that the kernel bogomips/delay-loop
    NM>      figure needs to be the fastest it might hit and so the
    NM>      timing is then wonky... any comments?

I've had no problems with that situtation---and I do use my T21 a lot
on battery only.

    NM>   2. tp4d (trackpoint daemon) doesn't manage to reset the trackpoint
    NM>      status after a suspend/resume - seem to need to reboot for
    NM>      this.  Anyone got a solution?  [killing and restarting tp4d
    NM>      doesn't fix this either - maybe X stops it?]

I'm using plain old gpm. What does tp4d do?

    NM>   3. tpctl appears unable to enable a serial port that has been
    NM>      disabled in the BIOS - it says it does the right thing,
    NM>      but the serial port drivers do not find it until its been
    NM>      enabled in BIOS through a reboot (I am using modules before
    NM>      you ask).

No idea. I just enabled them all and left it at that.

    NM>   4. Any good tips for apm etc configuration for power saving configs?
    NM>      I have atime updates off, and am looking at spindown on the
    NM>      disk.  Howabout losing cron etc whilst on battery?

I had APM support in the kernel configured to allow interrupts (on
account of the help message for that item saying that the BIOS of
newer thinkpads were not dealing with them properly). After a couple
of cases of resume not completing properly (and locking my X display)
I reconfigured the kernel to NOT allow interrups. So far the lockups
seem to have disappeared (and resume/suspend is a lot faster now as
well)----but I'll have to do more testing to be sure of that I
guess. Also, hibernation works nicely (essential for swapping
batteries in the middle of that train ride)---in addition, I've
enabled hibernation after 90min of suspend time: works just fine.

Re cron: doesn't seem to cause any problems.

--
Dr. Dirk Husemann, IBM Research Division, Zurich Research Lab, Switzerland
Email: hud@zurich.ibm.com ----------- WWW: http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

"We are Linux. Resistance is an indication that you missed the point."