[ltp] Easy Setup

Jens Kirch linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 13:54:35 -0500

Hi everybody,

i have been reading this list for some time now. Although i don't have
linux on my TP600E at the moment, i had Mandrake and SuSE on it before.
With the modem driver now available i will soon put it back on :-)

Some time ago i found a reverence to hidden easy setup keys:

Thinkpad Easy-Setup Hidden Keys

Thanks to Cesare Mancini (cmancinil@yahoo.com) you can do more
in Thinkpad setup than IBM has told you about!

On Thinkpads equipped with "easy Setup", accessed by holding Fl while
you power on your computer, the following known keystrokes are available
throughout setup:

-When you are in TEST mode, accessed by clicking the "test" icon on the
main menu, the following extra keystrokes are available:

Ctrl-A: Verbose test mode and required for some of the following as well.
Ctrl-E: Error list from most recent test(s)
Ctrl-F: fru connections
Ctrl-K: Interactive keyboard test
Ctrl-L: Low level format hard drive (DANGEROUS, so BE CAREFUL)
Ctrl-V: View results from last test(s)

-When you are in CONFIG mode accessed by clicking the config icon on the
main menu, the following extra keystrokes may be available:

Ctrl-N: Serial # change (Removed from later models?)
Ctrl-G: UUID # change (Removed from later models?)
Ctrl-D: XCMOS utility, look at interupts and devices installed, modify

There may be more keystrokes that aren't listed here, if you know of one,
please let us know! Additionally, not all Thinkpads may accept the
keystrokes
shown above.

I hope you enjoy it.

            Jens