[ltp] Debian Roll Your Own kernel

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:26:07 +0000 (GMT)

--- tom <tallison@phoenixdsl.com> wrote:
> How would I go about reinserting [pcmcia] into the existing (2.2.18)
> kernel build?

Get the pcmcia-source package; untar /usr/src/pcmcia-cs.tar.gz ---
it goes into /usr/src/modules; and then run
   make-kpkg modules_image
at the root of your kernel source tree.  This will build a pcmcia-modules
package which you can then install using dpkg; it contains all the pcmcia
modules you need.

> I can do it by hand, but I don't think that's the way to go.
>
> BTW - what's the advantage of Debians make-kpkg over the regular
> make process?

It makes a package that can be installed and removed using
dpkg, which is a convenience.

Thomas