[ltp] Netgear problems

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 22:02:39 +0100

Hi,

for several weeks I have been trying to get my Netgear FA510c Cardbus
Network card to work under Debian Potato with kernel 2.4 packages
installed (it works in win2k). I asked many questions on the
debian-laptop mailing list. Someone on this list has the card working on
a Toshiba laptop with kernel 2.4. However, his suggestions did not help
me. Therefore I conclude that my problem might be related to the machine
I am using. It is a Thinkpad i1267. Here are the problems with my
current configuration (kernel 2.4.2):

First scenario:
When I start the computer with my Xircom RM56G PCMCIA modem card
inserted, this card is recognized correctly, but I get the error message
"Scanning for Pnp cards... isapnp: no plug and play devices found". When
replace the card with the network adapter I get the message "cs: unable
to map card memory!" twice.

Second scenario:
When I start the computer with the Netgear card inserted, I get two
error messages "cs: unable to map card memory!" and if I replace the
network card by the Modem card I also get the "cs: unable to map card
memory!" error messages so that the modem also won't work.

I already tried several settings in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts (it is
attached below). Some caused the system to hang but none worked. What
else can I try?

What cards do work with LINUX (Netgear even advertised that its card
works with LINUX but that doesn't seem to be the case for all systems)?

TIA,

Felix

My /etc/pcmcia/config.opts:
include port 0x100-0x4ff