[ltp] APMD and Standby on the TP-T21

Markus Alt linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 15:35:14 +0100

"D. Sen" wrote:

> This is interesting. Comparing your hda parameters to mine, I have 32 bit
> I/O
> support and unmasq IRQ set to 1.
>
> Here are some questions:
> Do you see *any* hda messages in the syslog.....during
> suspend/standby/resume?

Nope, and I usually do at least one hibernate/resume cycle per day when
carrying the machine home from the office.

> Do you use hdparm in your apmd_proxy (or /etc/sysconfig/apmd) to change
> your hd
> settings before and after a suspend/standby/resume cycle?

No. At least I haven't configured anything to do so. I'll attach my
/etc/rc.config.d/apmd.rc.config file, so you may compare the APM
options. (I have no /etc/sysconfig/apm* files; presumably because the
locations of the files differ from distribution to distribution.)

> Is the apmd_proxy script called by apmd for standby?

I would say so, as the apmd process runs with that very option which
should manage these activities:

root@altmark: /root (24) # ps -ef | grep apm | grep -v grep
root       161     1  0 06:57 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/apmd -w 10 -P
/usr/sbin/apmd_proxy

> What are your apmd related options, when you compile the kernel?

root@altmark: /root (25) # grep APM /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
# CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y

> Which version of the kernel are you using?

SuSE 7.1 with 2.2.18 (compiled from SuSE modified kernel sources)

> Sorry for the barrage of questions.....just want to isolate the difference
> here.

No problem - hope it helps!

Markus