[ltp] APMD and Standby on the TP-T21

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:11:05 -0500

Markus,

One last question. You said you go through one hibernate/resume cycle. Could
you try a suspend (Fn+F4)/resume cycle and monitor your syslog for hda
messages?

I ask because when I go through a suspend/resume cycle.....I get the following
syslog messages:

Mar  4 06:00:19 localhost kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Mar  4 06:00:19 localhost kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x50 { DriveReady
SeekComplete }

Unless that is, I disable dma using hdparm just before suspend (from the apmd
script). I re-enable dma after the resume.

Thanks.

Markus Alt wrote:

> "D. Sen" wrote:
> >
> > This is interesting. Comparing your hda parameters to mine, I have 32 bit
> > I/O
> > support and unmasq IRQ set to 1.
> >
> > Here are some questions:
> > Do you see *any* hda messages in the syslog.....during
> > suspend/standby/resume?
>
> Nope, and I usually do at least one hibernate/resume cycle per day when
> carrying the machine home from the office.
>
> > Do you use hdparm in your apmd_proxy (or /etc/sysconfig/apmd) to change
> > your hd
> > settings before and after a suspend/standby/resume cycle?
>
> No. At least I haven't configured anything to do so. I'll attach my
> /etc/rc.config.d/apmd.rc.config file, so you may compare the APM
> options. (I have no /etc/sysconfig/apm* files; presumably because the
> locations of the files differ from distribution to distribution.)
>
> > Is the apmd_proxy script called by apmd for standby?
>
> I would say so, as the apmd process runs with that very option which
> should manage these activities:
>
> root@altmark: /root (24) # ps -ef | grep apm | grep -v grep
> root       161     1  0 06:57 ?        00:00:01 /usr/sbin/apmd -w 10 -P
> /usr/sbin/apmd_proxy
>
> > What are your apmd related options, when you compile the kernel?
>
> root@altmark: /root (25) # grep APM /usr/src/linux/.config
> CONFIG_APM=y
> # CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y
> # CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT is not set
> CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS=y
>
> > Which version of the kernel are you using?
>
> SuSE 7.1 with 2.2.18 (compiled from SuSE modified kernel sources)
>
> > Sorry for the barrage of questions.....just want to isolate the difference
> > here.
>
> No problem - hope it helps!
>
> Markus

D. Sen, Room E167