[ltp] getting beyond the 8-Gbyte limit

David Newman linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 11:03:10 -0500

Am looking to install Linux on my T21 (2647-67U) in a dual-boot config with
Windows 2000, and need help in getting past the 8-Gbyte barrier.

This machine has a 10G drive, and currently I have two partitions for W2K:

6.9 Gbytes (7,416,266,752 bytes) for the OS
768 Mbytes (805,044,224 bytes) I added as a W2K swap partition

This total puts me over 8 Gbytes. I've tried to install both RH 6.2 and 7.0
in the remaining space, but in both cases LILO complains about being over
the 1024 cylinder limit.

Is there any way to dual-boot without moving partitions around? Or is the
8-Gbyte limit a fixed one? I have heard this is a BIOS limitation, but maybe
limits exist to be exceeded. :)

Thanks in advance.

dn