[ltp] ultrabay how recognize it on linux??

Thomas Hood linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:52:53 +0000 (GMT)

I tried to get warm-swapping to work on my ThinkPad 600
a few months ago.  I gave up because I found that the
ide driver became confused when one attempted to register
and unregister an ide interface.  I was hoping that the
problem would be fixed in Linux 2.4.x.

I found that in order for warm-swapping to work, my original
boot had to be done with the floppy drive in the bay; otherwise
it would never be possible to get the floppy to work.  Booted
with the floppy in the bay, I could suspend, remove floppy
drive, insert CD-ROM drive, resume, and use "hdparm -R" to make
the ide driver notice the secondary ide interface.  I could then
suspend, remove CD-ROM drive, insert floppy drive, resume, and use
the floppy drive.  However, the problem I had (IIRC) is that I
would get error messages if I didn't unregister the secondary ide
interface using "hdparm -U"; but if I did unregister the interface
then after a few iterations of the above, I would get kernel
panics.  Let me know how things work out for you.

Thomas