[ltp] APMD and Standby on the TP-T21

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 16:28:01 -0500

Alright, so if I understand things right then this is the sequence of events for
the following keystrokes:

1) apm -x:
    a) apm talks to apmd.
    b) apmd calls the apmd_proxy script with two parameters suspend/standby and
user/system.
    c) apmd_proxy runs the appropriate commands.
    d) apmd then hands over to the APM BIOS which either puts the machine on
suspend or standby.

2) Fn+Fx (or tpctl --x):
    a) APM BIOS gets notifiied.
    b) APM BIOS talks to apmd.
    c) apmd calls apmd_proxy with two parameters suspend/standby and
user/system.
    d) apmd_proxy runs the appropriate commands.
    e) apmd hands over ot the APM BIOS which either puts the machine on suspend
or standby.

*However*, in my machine 2c doesnt seem to be happening for the Fn+F3 (tpctl
--standby) case. apmd_script is called but without the "standby user/system"
parameters. So, I dont have control over what commands are called before standby
for that sequence.

Thats the first problem. The second is that even if I did have control over the
commands, (as in (1) with the apm -S command), I still see 'hda: lost interrupt"
unless I use 'cardctl eject' before the machine is put on standby.

DS
Thomas Hood wrote:

> --- "D. Sen" <dsen@research.att.com> wrote:
> > These are the problems I get with apmd:
> >
> > Standby (via Fn+F3 or apm -S):
> >     Causes "hda: lost interrupt" message in the syslog. (I disable pcmcia
> > services from the apmd_proxy script then this problem doesnt show. However,
> > this is not an option using Fn+F3 because the apmd_proxy script isnt called
> > then.)
>
> apmd_proxy *is* called.  However the difference between using
> "apm -S" and Fn-F3 is that when one does "apm -S", the Linux
> apm driver is informed about the standby first (before the
> APM BIOS); it sends notification out and then suspends the
> system.  When "tpctl --suspend" or Fn-F3 is used, the APM
> BIOS is informed about the standby first.  It does things
> and then tells the Linux apm driver about the standby request.
> Whatever the APM BIOS is doing is causing the "lost interrupt"
> before pcmcia can be disabled.
>
> Note that "apm -S" generates a "user standby" and "tpctl --susp"
> and Fn-F3 generate "system standby"s.  Make sure that apmd_proxy
> is set up to handle both kinds of standbys the same way.
>
> Mutatis mutandis for suspends.
>
> Thomas

D. Sen, Room E167
AT&T Labs-Research