[ltp] ultrabay how recognize it on linux??

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:49:35 -0800 (PST)

build the floppy driver as a module.  It does the scan upon loading
into the kernel.  then in lilo.conf use append="hdc=cdrom" then you
can boot with nothing in the bay.

suspend, slap floppy in, unsuspend, access floppy (driver loads dynamicaly
and finds the drive)

suspend, slap cdrom in, unsuspend, access cdrom (you manualy told kernel
what hdc was.)

suspend, slap battery in, unsuspend, don't access cdrom or floppy (APM
sees longer battery life)

If using second HD option you must shutdown. (not hybernate or suspend)
slap in second HD then boot without the append line.  To remove you must
shutdown again.

---- As written by =?iso-8859-1?q?Thomas=20Hood?=:

> I tried to get warm-swapping to work on my ThinkPad 600
> a few months ago.  I gave up because I found that the
> ide driver became confused when one attempted to register
> and unregister an ide interface.  I was hoping that the
> problem would be fixed in Linux 2.4.x.
>
> I found that in order for warm-swapping to work, my original
> boot had to be done with the floppy drive in the bay; otherwise
> it would never be possible to get the floppy to work.  Booted
> with the floppy in the bay, I could suspend, remove floppy
> drive, insert CD-ROM drive, resume, and use "hdparm -R" to make
> the ide driver notice the secondary ide interface.  I could then
> suspend, remove CD-ROM drive, insert floppy drive, resume, and use
> the floppy drive.  However, the problem I had (IIRC) is that I
> would get error messages if I didn't unregister the secondary ide
> interface using "hdparm -U"; but if I did unregister the interface
> then after a few iterations of the above, I would get kernel
> panics.  Let me know how things work out for you.
>
> Thomas
>
> --- Stefano Gambarč <sgambare@libero.it> wrote:
> > On my mandrake 7.2 XFree 4.0.1 I have a problem with ultrabay device:
> >
> > I could only use the device I mount when power on my thinkpad, and I can't
> > use the other device (I switch between CD-ROM and Floppy) under linux,
> > instead under windows I success to do it!!
> >
> > Could anyone help me??
> >
> > Thanks

/* Robert Hajime Lanning                             lanning@lanning.cc
** Trade: Unix Systems Administrator (Senior level) (SAGE IV)
*/
#include <std_disclaimer.h>