[ltp] ultrabay how recognize it on linux??

Michael Selway linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:31:46 GMT

Thanks especially to Thomas and Robert for your comments.

It seems everybody wants to do different things with their
ultrabay.  My interest is swapping between the HD adapter and the
DVD-ROM.  (Can't remember the last time I used a floppy disc.)

>  I can warm swap floppy, battery and DVD-ROM.  The hardware will not allow
>  you to do anything other than a cold swap for the HD adapter.

By "cold swap" do you mean shutting down linux and powering down?
Any thoughts or experience about whether I can get away with
hibernating (ie powered down but not rebooted)?

>  IIRC, the second hard drive is
>  a second device on the primary ide interface, unlike the
>  CD-ROM drive which is attached to the primary ide interface;
>  therefore it should appear as hdb rather than as hdc.

No, the CD and the hard disc adapter both show as hdc.

I think I'll wait for redhat 7.1 which must be imminent now - that
will take me up to kernel 2.4.  Then I'll try playing with warm
swapping and see how I fair.

Michael.