[ltp] Memory management

Valery Trifonov linux-thinkpad@www.bm-soft.com
Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:28:46 -0500

Jens Kirch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed the new bios which has a fix for memory detection on my
> 600E.
> I tried it with the mandrake install cds (7.1, 7.2, 8.0 beta) but they
> still detect just 64 MB.
> I have 192MB in my machine.
> It was weird though: 7.1 and 7.2 display the memory in kB while 8.0
> displays MB on startup.
> I haven't tried to install, because i'm waiting for a new hard drive.
>
> Jens

I can't say much about the 600E, but in my tests the new BIOS for the
600 (IBET53WW) seems to report the correct available RAM size to Linux.

It's interesting that the BIOS gives back some of the reserved RAM to
the OS. I have 192MB installed, POST prints 196032k (576k less). With
the new BIOS, kernel 2.4.2 booting without a mem= command line argument
shows 196416k available in its boot log, 192k less than the total RAM
size.

I haven't tested it very extensively, but I tried it for several minutes
under heavy load, multiple applications with total footprint exceeding
my physical memory size by about 60MB. No crashes.

Valery